Castles and chateaux

Home » Tourist places » Castles and chateaux

Castle Bouzov

Castle founded in the early 14th century house of lords of Bouzov. During the Thirty Years War, the Imperial army left. In 1645 the Swedes destroyed. In the years 1895-1909 made by neo-Gothic Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights Eugen von Habsburg.

An originally Gothic castle from early 14th century, remodeled in the Romantic style at the turn of the 19th a 20th centuries for the Archduke Eugen von Habsburg. Romantic interiors with historically valuable furnishings and rich decorations – carvings, paintings, a wrought iron. There are exhibitions in the large exhibition hall. The castle is very popular with filmmakers.
 

Castle Bruntál

An originally Gothic castle converted during the Renaissance a Baroque eras into a chateau. Historical interiors are decorated with paintings (chateau halls a rooms, picture gallery, library, armory, etc.) a include valuable furniture as well as the sacral objects belonging to the Bruntál deanery.

 

Castle Buchlov

Originally a royal castle built in the Gothic a Renaissance styles, dating back to the first half of the 13th century. Some of the interiors have been adapted in the Baroque style. Visitors can view the gallery, the opening historical exhibit, an early-Gothic chapel, a so-called “black kitchen”, a library, the Knights’ Hall, residential quarters, a other rooms. The interiors are complemented with collections dating from early Gothic era to the 19th century. Natural history collections, a collection of memorabilia belonging to the physician L. Berchtold a the botanist B. Berchtold. The museum was founded as early as 1848 by the Berchtold brothers. The St. Barbara Chapel contains a crypt with the remains of the castle’s owners.
 

Chateau Červená Lhota

A Romantic Renaissance water chateau from the first half of the 16th century built on the site of a former Gothic keep, modified in the pseudo-Renaissance style in the early 20th century. The surrounding English park features the Chapel of the Holy Trinity with a crypt. Renaissance a Rococo interiors include valuable furnishings from the 17th-19th centuries. The chateau, situated on a small rocky cliff in the middle of a pond, is a popular backdrop to many a Czech film fairy tale.



 

Castle Český Krumlov

In the mid-13th century the lords of Krumlov, who belonged to the important noble family of Vítkovce, founded the castle Krumlov on a steep rocky bulge above the stream of the river Vltava. In 1302 the Rosenberg family took over the castle and made it their main residential place. During the era of Vilem of Rosenberg the huge Gothic castle was rebuilt under the guidance of Italian masters into a monumental Renaissance residence and at the same period it became important cultural, social and economic centre of the large Rosenberg dominion. Petr Vok of Rosenberg sold the residence to Rudolph II because of financial reasons. Rudolph II did not ever visit the place and in 1622 his cousin Emperor Ferdinand II presented it to his banker Jan Ulrich of Eggenberg. At the end of the 17th century during the era of Jan Christian of Eggenberg the chateau went through extent reconstruction in the Baroque style. The floor of the halls was equally levelled, huge Baroque staircases were constructed, the Baroque gardens were designed and the new Baroque theatre building and the mint were built. After extinction of the Eggenburg family the Schwarzenber family inherited the property and the union of the two noble families created extent dominion, resembling the Rosenberg era by its size and location. Further reconstruction in the style of High Baroque took place during the period of Josef Adam of Schwarzenberg. He had the Mirror Hall and the Mask Hall reconstructed and decorated by illusive Rococo paintings by Josef Lederer. The Eggenberg theatre building was rebuilt and equipped with a large collection of wings by Viennese painters, theatre costumes and requisites from the 18th century. In the garden the wooden pavilion Belaria was reconstructed and a new wooden music pavilion and a winter chateau riding-school was built. The theatre and the park are accessible by the corridors on the upper floors of the Late Baroque bridge – a technical sight, which vaults across the castle moat.
In the late 18th century finished constructing rush in the Krumlov chateau and it became lonesome. Only Duke Adolf Josef of Schwamberk began to take interest in the restoration of the chateau Krumlov and in the year 1900 he decided to open a part of the Schwarzenberg representative rooms to the public. In 1940 Gestapo confiscated the whole Schwarzenberg property. After the war the chateau was nationalized and made accessible to the public again.
In 1992 the whole historic complex was included in the UNESCO list of cultural and natural heritage.